Thursday, October 23, 2008

Post #1!

hi friends.
you are invited! i have created this site out of a mixture of boredom and musical love. i thought maybe it would be fun to discuss musical happenings, give recommendations to those who are in need of new music, and even to compare bands? please comment! we like all musical tastes and all musical people!

with that said...
here are some comparisons i have been thinking of.

johnny foreigner sounds like rainer maria, los campesinos!, and pretty girls make graves put together.
destroyer- sounds like wilco, david bowie, and pavement mixed together.
santogold- is MIA with totally hot backup dancers.
MGMT- serious pop rock that reminds me a little of the flaming lips, a little of the polyphonic spree.

what do you think? what are you listening to?



7 comments:

  1. Haha...you are bored because we have really crappy jobs...

    I am listening to my happy dancemix music right now...a little crazy britney, a little disturbed rihanna...some nelly furtado...old school ll cool j. Do not judge. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fun! I bought a bunch of indian music in NYC, so I've been bumping that.
    Asha Bosle - Classic Bollywood Singer
    Lata Mangeshkar - same game dif. name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently listening to not country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure you meant to say Santogold IS MIA, but just in case you did, she's not. She is a friend of hers though, and they sound remarkably similar on a few tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked Santogold before the radio started playing them every five minutes. Now I can't stand listening to them :(

    Right now I'm listening to a lot of Emily Jane White and Sia. Great fall music right there :D And Sondre Lerche. Because he's a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. as i hardly listen to the radio anymore, i still think Santo's the shit, especially in spite of my disdain for MIA. MGMT reminds me more of the electro-dance stuff that is blowing up the blogoshpere these days.

    re: destroyer, the notion of wilco, pavement, and bowie mushed together is prolly the biggest turn-off i've ever seen.

    however, i got my hands on some of that Johnny Foreigner, pretty sweet. it's made me remember my poppy punk middle school roots. FUN FACT: there's a British rapper with the same name.

    i've been bumping a lot of Bella, St. Vincent, and Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. if you like wilco. listen to brother:
    www.myspace.com/thebrothercircus
    wilco + fleet foxes

    ReplyDelete